Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hermit Crab Cages & Care Kit Supplies - My First eBay Sale!

We all get excited by our first achievement in most any arena!  That said, I am happy to have sold my first item on eBay, a cages & care kit for pet hermit crabs.  I used to keep several hermit crabs and continuously strived to provide the best environment for them so I accumulated several cages & accessories in the process.  Eventually, I did not have enough time to properly play with & enjoy my crabs so I wanted to pass on the kit to a hopefully devoted hermit crab lover.  So I set to work photographing, assembling, inspecting, and cleaning all the materials I purchased for my crabs!  Read the description I wrote for eBay.com below:

This is a complete hermit crab care kit - just add crabs, food, sand, and water!

It includes 3 cages, an accessories kit, and an information packet.

The smallest cage measures 4 1/2" width, 8" length, and 6" high. It is a clear plastic cage with a lavender-color snap-on lid. The lid also has a smaller, clear window in the center that pops open. Both the lid and window pop open and snap close securely and easily. Opening the window is an easy way to quickly pick crabs out & place them back in without having to remove the entire lid. The lid is perforated to allow proper air circulation. This cage has a carrying handle. It is slightly worn with some scratches, but thoroughly clean. It will provide for clear viewing of the hermit crab. Its small size makes it useful for short-term transport of crabs or isolating a crab from the other crabs when it is molting.

The large cage measures 7" width, 13" length, and 4 1/2" height. It is a clear plastic cage with a green-color snap-on lid. The lid also has a smaller, clear window in the center that pops open. Both the lid and window pop open and snap close securely and easily. Opening the window is an easy way to quickly pick crabs out & place them back in without having to remove the entire lid. The lid and cage are perforated to allow proper air circulation. It is slightly worn with some scratches, but thoroughly clean. It will provide for clear viewing of the hermit crab. This cage has ample room for crabs to crawl and will provide a good home for them during colder seasons. Heaters can be attached to this cage to help monitor temperature. This cage can hold up to 7 baby-medium size crabs, or 4 large crabs, or 2 jumbo crabs.

The wire mesh cage is a cylinder-shaped cage the measures 12" in diameter and 9" height. It is made for Florida Marine Research (FMR). The lid is a snap-on located in the center of the top of the cage that opens and closes securely and easily. Crabs will enjoy and benefit from this cage by climbing around its wire mesh lining. This cage provides great viewing of crabs as they climb all over it! This cage is useful during warmer seasons. This cage can hold up to 8 baby-medium size crabs, or 5 large crabs, or 3 jumbo crabs.

The accessories pack will include 2 heaters, 2 thermometers, choya wood, a crab hut, hermit crab salt, sea sponge, food and water shell dishes, vinyl bumpers, calci sand, and 9 hermit crab shells. Note that the accessories are used products well taken care of.

The heaters can be attached to the large cage. The heaters measure 7" x 4" and have been tested and working. The adhesive sides have traces of sand and residue on them. The heaters will need to be taped to the cage. The heaters are essential to maintain the optimum temperature of 72 - 75 F for crabs. On the thermometers, I attached an adhesive piece so that they can be attached to cage walls. The thermometers have been tested & are working. Crabs will climb on the choya wood and love to huddle together in the coconut shell crab hut! The hut measures 3" in diameter and has a 2" opening - only small-medium crabs can fit inside. The choya wood is 3 1/2" long. The 2.6 oz. container of HBH Brand hermit crab salt is half-full as I already used some of it for my crabs. Crab salt is ideal for soaking and bathing. It contains calcium that strengthens the exoskeleton. The crabs can drink from the sea sponge. Adhesive vinyl bumpers (2 large, 4 small) can be placed under the cage feet if one wants to attach a heater under the cage. The bag of calci sand is partially used. Calci-sand can be sprinkled on top of regular sand; it is a pure calcium product which promotes healthy substrate. Crabs need spare shells to change into; the shells included have been approved by hermit crab distributors.

I will also include an envelope with information on hermit crabs and the care kit. It will include information on the Reptile Thermometer, Hermit Crab Heater Instructions, Reptitherm Reptile Heater instruction book, an information sheet published by Florida Marine Research on health hints and how to care for your hermit crab, and an index card with information on temperature control for crabs.

The entire kit & cages will be shipped together in 1 box. I will accept returns for money back provided that entire kit (including all components) is shipped back to me in same condition. Buyer must pay return shipping.

The hermit crab cages & care kit sold at $31.01 with 7 bids placed, starting at $20.  I shipped it to South Carolina, receiving positive feedback from my buyer, for who I also left positive feedback.  

2 comments:

Elazar said...

Well done, Raji! Keep up the good work!

Luxury Modern Home said...

Raji, I think that you should be a writer! This is a very good article.