Sunday, October 17, 2010

Exploring "the Emerald City" . . .

In late August 2010, I had the opportunity to travel to Seattle and explore "the Emerald City."Over the course of a few days I had the chance to visit several locales in the area, highlights of which include: the Theo Chocolate Factory, Ballard Fish Locks, Pike Place Market, Freemont Troll, first Starbucks, Mt. Rainier, and the "floating homes."  Seattle is distinguished by steep inclines and a pastel-hued skyline of pink, grey, and green, all cast within the misty air characteristic of the Pacific Northwest.  

Exploring Seattle offers opportunity for travellers seeking a variety of unique encounters.  A spectacular view of the city skyline can be seen from Kerry Park.  King sized salmon can be spotted from the observation room at the Ballard Locks.  The Pike Place Market hosts an array of craftsmen and artisans among fresh produce and flowers for sale.  One can view fresh seafood catch on display there featuring oysters and dungeness crab, peruse a variety of jewelry vendors, or even watch the fish throwers while enjoying mango lemonade as I did!  Other culinary favorites that I enjoyed in Seattle included red wine samplings downtown and lavender shortbread cookies at the world famous Space Needle.  Two of the most special locales I noted in the city were "The Crumpet Shop" outside Pike Place Market for its tea & crumpets and Stonington Gallery, which hosts Pacific Northwest art.   

Visiting Seattle can also prove educational in a variety of facets.  Coffee aficionados can sample the difference between fruitier coffees and those with a more buttery feel while learning about how distinct methods of harvesting around the world effect such varieties in taste.  Locals speculate about paranormal activity in the Pike Place Market area based on historical accounts.  Mt. Rainier is abound with wildflowers and treasures of alpine forestry to identify along the trails of Paradise Valley.  

Through seeking out the local people, sights, and tastes, I garnered a true perspective of this metronatural city by the Puget Sound and its casual lifestyle.  Note that the city does tend to shut down early and I only recommend a few days there.  Apart from good times with friends, one of the most fantastic recollections I have was seeing a large rainbow crystallize over waterfalls in Mt. Rainier National Park.  Be it Seattle or any other, all cities can render a unique adventure to the inquisitive traveller  - to dream, discover, and explore.     

2 comments:

Anirudh Sahni said...

You got a good feel for the city in just a few days! On your next visit get some locals to show you the pockets that stay open late, and more of the splendid outdoors.

Luxury Modern Home said...

AWESOME BLOG!!!

Thanks for writing about all these travel experiences. You are very eloquent.

Reading this makes me want to travel to Seattle again.