Sunday, October 19, 2008

My Reviews

Hello All! Back in 2003, I had joined the social networking site Friendster, similar to MySpace or Facebook. I have written a few reviews of my latest favorite movies, music, and TV on Friendster, but knowing that the popularity of Friendster is starting to wane (and be dominated by Facebook), I wondered if anyone was still logging onto Friendster (and actually sees my reviews) . . . . So I figured what better way to share my reviews with more friends & family than to post them onto my blog! Read below and enjoy my take on modern media! Check back later too to see if I post new reviews . . . .

THE HILLS on MTV - written 10.18.2008

I'm hooked on "The Hills!" It is a MTV reality series that follows the drama and ups & downs of the social & professional lives of 4 beautiful SoCal girls: Lauren, Heidi, Audrina, and Whitney. The girls have to work their way through dates, work events, parties, roomates, trips, and more while trying to make it in LA! The show focuses on the issues they face with one another, their friends and family as they go about these events. I find the show interesting because I wonder what types of personal conflicts young people in the United States face and how they react to them. I also confess that I've been dreaming of temporarily being a young professional in LA like these girls just to experience an alternative, sweet lifestyle to my native NYC & NJ . . . maybe it will happen sometime!

A SHOT AT LOVE 2 WITH TILA TEQUILA on MTV - written 11.12.2007

This is a reality show which features Tila Nguyen, a bisexual bachelorette, seeking to find someone for a relationship. In the first season, she invited 16 lesbians and 16 straight guys to her fabulous California crib and through a series of one-on-one times, competitions, and activities she eliminated individuals in the process of getting closer & closer to finding "the one." Unfortunately, she broke up with the winner of the first season of "A Shot at Love," but she's back to try again in "A Shot at Love 2!" Tila is definitely not your conservative type - she's pretty wild & puts these people through some crazy stuff in competing for a shot at love with her! Throughout the show, Tila and the contestants offer input & share their feelings for each other. This show does offer some laughs and can be entertaining so I got hooked! As Tila Tequila says at the end of every show "Here's to a shot at love!"

HALLMARK'S SPANISH GUITAR CD by artists Silvio Simone, Kenny Vekhavaara, Rob Piltch, & Guido Luciani - written 2.4.2006

"Spanish Guitar" is one of the CDs compiled by Hallmark & sold at their Gold Crown card stores. This soundtrack is strictly instrumental - there is no one singing or reciting anything. It has 11 tracks showcasing Spanish guitar complemented by background music including violin, piano, cymbals, castanets, and flute. This CD is enjoyable & calming - great to listen to while relaxing, entertaining, driving, or doing chores. The music has a definite Spanish flavor - it reminds me of Spanish flamenco dancing or images of Santa Fe, New Mexico. Most songs have a vibrant feel while some are more romantic. My favorite tracks are: "Amartelado, Viva La Guitarra, Encandora, Corazon Entergrado, El Matador," and "Zambra." You can sample the music at a local Hallmark card store.

MARCH OF THE PENGUINS Directed by Luc Jacquet

"March of the Penguins" is a National Geographic feature film that can be enjoyed by the whole family. It was awarded best documentary at the 78th annual Academy Awards. It chronicles the ritual marches between the sea & land done by emperor penguins in Antarctica as they raise their chicks. I always enjoyed seeing penguins in aquariums, zoos, Sea World, or on TV so I found this movie enjoying because it shed insight onto their behaviors, struggles, and way of life in their natural environment. Some of the footage of the penguins shown was really beautiful and interesting. "March of the Penguins" played in 2,506 theaters domestically, numbers higher than typical for a documentary film. It is rated "G" and distributed by Warner.

A HAUNTING on Discovery Channel - written 1.11.2006

The "A Haunting" series reenacts true experiences that families have had with the paranormal/supernatural based on eyewitness accounts. In each show, family members talk about their experiences living in haunted homes or working in a haunted location. Investigators called upon to help also give testimony and analysis. Sightings of ghosts, objects moving on their own, attacks by supernatural entities, possession, and the power of blessings & exorcisms are depicted. In the episode "Hell House," actual photos & drawings from the haunting are shown. The series is very interesting. My favorite episode is "The Haunting of Summerwind." Check out the website http://www.summerwindmansion.com/ or the book "The Carver Effect" for more information on the haunting reenacted in that episode. "A Haunting" can get really scary & suspenseful at times so you may not want to watch it when you are at home alone! You can also read about the series on Wikipedia at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Haunting

If you enjoy the "A Haunting" series, be sure to catch the Discovery Channel documentary "A Haunting in Georgia" next airing on March 3, 2010 from 1 PM - 3 PM EST.  Normally before, I always thought that ghosts were mainly made up/fictional, but now I wonder if they really do exist. After watching & listening to all these eyewitness accounts, it's somewhat difficult not to believe in the supernatural - these people are serious.

No comments: